According to The LA Times authorities probing a Tweet from rapper the Game’s Twitter account said those found responsible for it could face a variety of criminal charges.
Los Angeles County sheriff’s officials have opened a criminal investigation into whether The Game sent out a Tweet containing a number for the Compton station, which resulted in jammed emergency phone lines for at least two hours Friday night.
Among the potential charges are annoying or harassing phone calls via electronic device or the Internet whether or not a conversation ensues; delaying or obstructing a peace officer in the performance of their duties; a person who disrupts or impedes communication over a public safety radio frequency.
It remains unclear who sent the Tweet from the Game’s account.
After the Los Angeles Times published a blog article online, the Game sent a Tweet to the newspaper saying: “it wasn’t me (shaggy voice).” He suggested that his Twitter account had been hacked by someone else.
In another Tweet, he suggested it was an accident: “Yall can track a tweet down but cant solve murders ! Dat was an accident but maybe now yall can actually do yall job !!!! #iSpeak4ThePeople”
Although the Game’s account has been verified by Twitter, it is unclear whether he was the person tweeting. He did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
The Sheriff’s Department said the problems began after 5 p.m. when a Tweet was sent from the Game’s account to his 580,000 followers telling them that if they wanted an internship with him, they should call the phone number, said sheriff’s Capt. Mike Parker.
“This was beyond irresponsible,” Parker said. “The deputies’ ability to answer the phones and dispatch personnel to help these people in danger was significantly impeded.”
Parker sent his own Tweet to the rapper telling him to delete the original tweet because it was compromising public safety.