Registration is FREE, Fast, and Simple. Our Registered Members DO NOT See the video Advertisement below!
***Register Now***

Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Parents learn to decode hip-hop music

Eat Lead!!! Parents learn to decode hip-hop music Ironstreets's Avatar
    THA D
    66 times

Default Parents learn to decode hip-hop music

CHARLOTTE COUNTY: You may not like the beat of hip-hop music, but if you're a parent you might want to know what the lyrics mean.

Hundreds of parents in Englewood got a crash course from a professional decoder.

"Did you hear what he said, 'I'm riding high.' I'm going to stop it there because honestly that's where they lost me," said presenter Marc Fomby.

Parents that are getting lost in their kids' hip-hop lyrics were the central theme of Wednesday night's presentation in.

"Kids are talking about everything from drugs to sex to fighting and they're using code words or slang terms," said Fomby.

Fomby travels the country educating parents and teachers about what their kids are saying.

"In music there are these messages that make it sound OK for kids to drink and do drugs. Rappers come out and talk about how much they smoke and how they treat women and it's not right," said Port Charlotte junior Stephanie Aleime.

Child safety experts say even in the dry season, parents need to be familiar with the phrase "making it rain" because in the hip hop culture, making it rain has nothing to do with a rain dance.

"Make it rain is one that's common. Make it rain means just throwing money in the air, but for a girl to do certain acts or services," said Fomby.

"It's really huge because it's about relatability - being able to understand what the kids are hearing and I think this will be eye opening to them too, to understand what they're really hearing," said parent Kale Dailey.

"Some kids just listen to music, but don't really know the real meaning. They're influenced by those songs and doing things they normally wouldn't do," said eighth grade student Victoria Bourke.

If you want to see Fomby's presentation, he will be giving the same presentation Thursday night at 6 p.m. at the Port Charlotte Cultural Center.

Click here to read more about words used in hip-hop music and their translations.

D-Town hip hop at its finest

OhEmGee Parents learn to decode hip-hop music Fresh2defsheis's Avatar
    We're Not Losers...We Are L.A.S.E.R.S.!!!
    2 times

Default Re: Parents learn to decode hip-hop music by them understanding tha music is it gonna make them not let their kids listen to it

or they jus wanna kno what they are talking about?

Ponder The Question NOT The Answer!

Catch Up Newbies Parents learn to decode hip-hop music cleaves05's Avatar
    0 times

Default Re: Parents learn to decode hip-hop music

Who knows exactly how the average parent is going to respond, but it's a step in itself for them just to know what's going on, instead of being clueless about it.

So Proper ENT. Parents learn to decode hip-hop music Ms Proper's Avatar
    Richmond, VA
    0 times

these translations are hilarious... most parents dont even talk like that.. "indeed this and indeed that"

He's On Fire! Parents learn to decode hip-hop music HipHop.I.AM's Avatar
    Garden State
    32 times

some of the excerpts

Rob the jewelry store and tell 'em make me a grill.
    Add da whole top diamond and the bottom rows gold.
    One should most certainly take a jewelry store hostage and demand them to make you a custom piece of mouth jewelry. The top row of such a device should be full of diamonds while the lower portion should be the purest of gold

Jermaine Dupri
    Yo we 'bout to start an epidemic wit' dis one,
    Ya'll know what dis is... So So Def.
    This track will undoubtedly create a widespread disease, probably due to it's contagious subject matter and lyrics. In case you were unaware, my record label is So So Def records

Paul Wall
    What it do baby, it's da ice man, Paul Wall,
    I got my mouth lookin' somethin' like a disco ball.
    Hello! It is I, Paul Wall. My personal moniker for myself is "the ice man" due to my frequent dealings with diamonds. The grill in my mouth causes my teeth to somewhat resemble a disco ball

I might be grilled out nicely (oh), in my white tee (oh),
    Or on South Beach (oh), in my wife-b.
    I might have an expensive grill while hanging out in my plain white T-shirt (popularized in the song "White Tee" by Dem Franchize Boyz), or perhaps I can be located on South Beach in my wife-beater white tank top.

Open up ya mouth, ya grill gleamin' (say what),
    Eyes stay low from da chiefin'.
    Whenever you reveal your grill, it illuminates brilliantly due to all the diamonds within it. Our eyes remain rather lazy looking from all the marijuana we previously smoked, however.
    Do not bark up this tree,....this tree will fall on you..