Barbados-born singer Shontelle’s debut album Shontelligence arrives in stores and online today featuring the smash hit “T-Shirt.” The caramel-skinned beauty sat down with Rap-Up.com in New York City for a quick round of 10 questions, including which celebrity she’s dying to meet and what designers fill her closet…besides Jimmy Choo.
1. How old were you when you wrote your first song? I was 10 years old. It was a song called “I Love You.” I don’t even know who it was about or what it was about.
2. Celebrity you’re dying to meet? Stevie Wonder
3. Thoughts on being compared to Rihanna? There aren’t so many female artists in Barbados doing pop and R&B, so I can accept that people want to make comparisons. We’re just glad that Barbados is getting the shine.
4. Fun fact about Barbados? The grapefruit was manufactured in Barbados; it’s a cross of two fruits.
5. How many pairs of Jimmy Choos do you own? I have a couple pairs. I’m a sucker for Jimmy Choos.
6. Favorite designers? I love many designers, from Michael Kors to H&M.
7. Favorite Caribbean dish? I love macaroni pie and grilled fish.
8. Artists you would like to collaborate with? Alicia Keys and Lil Wayne
9. Role model? Missy Elliott. As I got older, I would watch Missy Elliott and I remember telling my mom that I wanted to be the Caribbean version of Missy. My mom asked why [her] and I said, “Missy’s great because she can sing, rap, dance, write, and produce. I want to be just like her, she does everything.” My mom was like, “You better Missy Elliott yourself to school.”
10. Something most people don’t know about you? I can be a clown.