Registration is FREE, Fast, and Simple. Our Registered Members DO NOT See the video Advertisement below!
***Register Now***

Likes Likes:  0

Thread: The "Single Ladies" Dance Beyond Beyonce

Product of Determination The "Single Ladies" Dance Beyond Beyonce Opportunist's Avatar
    Liked
    5400 times

Default The "Single Ladies" Dance Beyond Beyonce

J-Setting, a popular dance in Southern black gay clubs, has made its way into the mainstream—largely, thanks to superstar Beyoncé Knowles, who’s been a gay icon pretty much since she sang “snap for the kids” in 2006’s “Get Me Bodied.”

“It’s kind of a risk when you’re introducing something underground,” says JaQuel Knight, 19, the co-choreographer, with Frank Gatson, of Beyoncé’s sensational, sensual videos “Single Ladies (Put a Ring On It)” and the follow-up “Diva”—which brought J-Sette culture from local dancefloors and into the international limelight. “There’s the fear that people will get upset if it’s not done right.”

J-Setting is a lead-and-follow style of dancing that requires the body to move to an eight-beat count: One, two— high knee kicks defy gravity. Three, four—hips gyrate from left to right. Five, six—arms and hands slice the air. Seven, eight—heads jerk up and down to the bassline.

According to JaQuel, it was Frank Gatson who introduced the J-Sette technique to Beyoncé. “Frank didn’t know the name of it, but I did,” says JaQuel, who grew up in Georgia and taught himself to dance by imitating routines from television. He started putting together choreography for local acts, eventually working his way up to dancing with Diddy, Janet Jackson, and Soulja Boy. After catching the eye of legendary choreographer Fatima, he graduated high school and moved to Los Angeles to pursue his dreams full \time. “Beyoncé wanted to do something really different,” says JaQuel, “because she had done everything.” He and Frank sat Beyoncé in front of the computer and showed her YouTube clips of people J-Setting. “We were like, ‘Are you sure?’ and she was like, ‘Let’s do it.’”

Frank Gatson introduced the J-Sette technique to Beyoncé.

J-Setting, a popular dance in Southern black gay clubs, has made its way into the mainstream—largely, thanks to superstar Beyoncé Knowles, who’s been a gay icon pretty much since she sang “snap for the kids” in 2006’s “Get Me Bodied.”

“It’s kind of a risk when you’re introducing something underground,” says JaQuel Knight, 19, the co-choreographer, with Frank Gatson, of Beyoncé’s sensational, sensual videos “Single Ladies (Put a Ring On It)” and the follow-up “Diva”—which brought J-Sette culture from local dancefloors and into the international limelight. “There’s the fear that people will get upset if it’s not done right.”

J-Setting is a lead-and-follow style of dancing that requires the body to move to an eight-beat count: One, two— high knee kicks defy gravity. Three, four—hips gyrate from left to right. Five, six—arms and hands slice the air. Seven, eight—heads jerk up and down to the bassline.

According to JaQuel, it was Frank Gatson who introduced the J-Sette technique to Beyoncé. “Frank didn’t know the name of it, but I did,” says JaQuel, who grew up in Georgia and taught himself to dance by imitating routines from television. He started putting together choreography for local acts, eventually working his way up to dancing with Diddy, Janet Jackson, and Soulja Boy. After catching the eye of legendary choreographer Fatima, he graduated high school and moved to Los Angeles to pursue his dreams full \time. “Beyoncé wanted to do something really different,” says JaQuel, “because she had done everything.” He and Frank sat Beyoncé in front of the computer and showed her YouTube clips of people J-Setting. “We were like, ‘Are you sure?’ and she was like, ‘Let’s do it.’”

The J-Sette Dance Style originated at Mississippi’s Jackson State University. The Prancing Jaycettes were the female dance line of the infamous JSU marching band, “The Sonic Boom of the South.” In 1970, Shirley Middleton, a former majorette, initiated the idea that the Jaycettes (later called the J-Settes) abandon their batons and begin dancing in formation. But their signature moves— thrusts, pumps, and high kicks—were still reserved for ladies only.

In 1997, a young man from Tunica, Miss., DeMorris Adams, broke the gender barrier. Adams joined the JSU band as a baton twirler. “One day at practice, our sponsor Ms. Otis asked me to fill in because they were a girl short.” When it was time for a performance, he was ready. Dressed in the male uniform of tuxedo pants, military boots with spats, and a shirt with sequined trim, Adams joined the line. “The crowd went crazy,” he says, beaming. “I was not effeminate. I was very masculine, so that is what made it so crazy.”
    Look up in the sky and tell me what you see
    The clouds, naw nigga, not me
    I see opportunity, I'm a opportunist
    Nigga, you heard what I said, "I'm a opportunist"

Catch Up Newbies The "Single Ladies" Dance Beyond Beyonce Dr. J's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times

Default Re: The "Single Ladies" Dance Beyond Beyonce

Opp, is this what you do in your free time? It's sooo fabulous.
    I'm just telling the truth.

http://whydopeopledodumbstuff.blogspot.com/

...... The "Single Ladies" Dance Beyond Beyonce Fabulous's Avatar
    Liked
    8 times

Thumbs down Re: The "Single Ladies" Dance Beyond Beyonce

Thread starter lost for putting this fag **** up....He viewed the whole video too...
    "One hand full of ****... does not equal a fist full of dollars!" -50 Cent

Product of Determination The "Single Ladies" Dance Beyond Beyonce Opportunist's Avatar
    Liked
    5400 times

Quote Originally Posted by Fabulous View Post
    Thread starter lost for putting this fag **** up....He viewed the whole video too...
    eat a fat one fab

...my duty is to report the news.
    Look up in the sky and tell me what you see
    The clouds, naw nigga, not me
    I see opportunity, I'm a opportunist
    Nigga, you heard what I said, "I'm a opportunist"

...... The "Single Ladies" Dance Beyond Beyonce Fabulous's Avatar
    Liked
    8 times

Quote Originally Posted by Opportunist View Post
    eat a fat one fab

...my duty is to report the news.
    This ain't no dam'n news....you like looking at those fat ones?
    "One hand full of ****... does not equal a fist full of dollars!" -50 Cent

*POSTING SOMEWHERE* The "Single Ladies" Dance Beyond Beyonce onevaguy's Avatar
    Liked
    12 times

OPPDID YOU REALLY START THIS THREAD!!!!! NO-HOMO!!!