Registration is FREE, Fast, and Simple. Our Registered Members DO NOT See the video Advertisement below!
***Register Now***

Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Are the BET Hip Hop Awards just the Source Awards with a new name?

Eat Lead!!! Are the BET Hip Hop Awards just the Source Awards with a new name? Ironstreets's Avatar
    Liked
    66 times

Default Are the BET Hip Hop Awards just the Source Awards with a new name?

Fresh after hosting the 2009 BET Awards, the black entertainment network is yet again hosting another award show: The 2009 BET Hip Hop Awards. I'm not really sure why there needs to be a whole show just for Hip Hop. Does Hip Hop get ignored during the BET Awards? Nope. Are there going to be DIFFERENT people showing up for the BET Hip Hop Awards that might not show up for the BET Awards? Nope, Soulja Boy is attending both. Or is BET just looking to multiply the success of the BET Awards by breaking it off into music genres? Can we expect the BET Soul Awards, the BET Gogo Awards and the BET Chopped 'n' Screwed Awards?

Setting aside the question of whether the show is needed or not, there is strong evidence that the BET Hip Hop Awards is nothing more than the Source Awards ugly pig cousin, just with a new shade of lipstick.

Exhibit A:

Frankie, Keyshia Cole's mother and a former crackhead, is BET's darling and one half of the Franke & Neffie show. I'll admit it, she's entertaining at times. She cracks me up. But she's also a hot ghetto mess and probably would be better served sitting at home in deep therapy, instead of walking the red carpet in a chicken little wig, with blinged out dentures, bursting into tears and rambling about how you want to sign artists and help develop their careers. Keyshia, get your mama off TV and the red carpet.

Exhibit B:

The Hustler Award. Nominees include: Diddy, Drake, Lil' Wayne, Jay-Z and Kanye West. The less said about this category the better. Exactly what is the criteria for this award? Working hard? Showing up? Having a big mouth? Producing as many offspring with as many different women as you can?

The show was taped in Atlanta this weekend and is set to air on Oct. 27 (That's a long delay in Internet age, BET...) so we'll get to see with our two eyes how much of HAM this gitdown really was.

http://mog.com/blog_posts/1532133/mogbar

Im Came Across This Article And Wanted To see Ur Thoughts On It Me Personally I Kinda Gave Up On Watching Award Shows Because Its Usually The Same Thing/Show And Or Ppl, Even Though I Think The Source Awards Were Much Better The The BET Hip Hop Awards Purely Because Of The Drama And There Were A Few Surprises...But Honestly Besides The Ciphers I Myself Have No Reason To Watch The BET Hip Hop Awards And Considering The Genre Of Hip Hop That I Listen To My Not Watching This Should Be Of No Surprise To Most Of You

D-Town hip hop at its finest

He's On Fire! Are the BET Hip Hop Awards just the Source Awards with a new name? HipHop.I.AM's Avatar
    Liked
    32 times

Default Re: Are the BET Hip Hop Awards just the Source Awards with a new name?

its pretty a much a rub off of each other......and your exhibits do make some VERY good points, frankie is terrible, hustler Award is worse....then again its a award show for some of those acts who have worked hard and cant get a grammy, or VMA.

So i do appreciate some aspects of the show, BLACK entertainment television has a long way to go...but at least they are trying
    Do not bark up this tree,....this tree will fall on you..

I LOVE WALE, LUPE & CUDI Are the BET Hip Hop Awards just the Source Awards with a new name? Orchid's Avatar
    Liked
    24 times

Yea it pretty much is the same thing but i guess the reason why they have the 2 of the same show(just different titles) is so they can try and say that they support "Hip Hop" more than anyone. Also to try and give different people a award but in the end the same person who got a BET award will win a BET HipHop award for the same category.

Yet with the Source awards they were very entertaining and drama filled because times were different then how they are now. the Source awards were the ones to try and let it all hang out, with all the drama, tension and fights. The artist today they dont really show their ass on the BET awards like other artist did on the Source awards
    Lead Yourself ~Wasalu Jaco~
    JOIN HIPHOPSTAN.COM

Member Are the BET Hip Hop Awards just the Source Awards with a new name?
    Liked
    0 times

I stopped watching awards shows years