Registration is FREE, Fast, and Simple. Our Registered Members DO NOT See the video Advertisement below!
***Register Now***

Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 2009 in review: 5 Hip-Hop words we'd like forgotten after 2009

Eat Lead!!! 2009 in review: 5 Hip-Hop words we'd like forgotten after 2009 Ironstreets's Avatar
    Liked
    66 times

Default 2009 in review: 5 Hip-Hop words we'd like forgotten after 2009

5. Guap

Though “Guap” was used well before 2009, it has noticeably overstayed its visit. The term has been used as a substitution for money; money is green and so is guacamole which is presumably where the term was derived from. Though it shows much creativity, it somehow loses its pizzazz after those within the mainstream get a hold of it. Similar to the word “Bling”, “Guap” has become played out in its own right. Though it is still not so annoying for an individual to use it in conversation, it still has a cringe level of 2 out of 5.

4. 1st

The term “1st” isn’t really used in Hip-Hop per se, but you do see it in the comment areas of urban blogs and websites. Not sure how the word came to be, but it is used by commenter’s who somehow feel like winners when they are the first to comment on a post. Though it made its debut before 2009 came into full swing, it has started to annoy a few people most notably New York radio host Ed Lover. Besides the fact that it’s just immature, it really isn’t necessary to do so. At any rate, its presence isn’t as annoying as the words that follow.

3. Swag

Oh but yes, the infamous “Swag.” The term “Swag” is usually used to describe one’s style whether it be regarding fashion or just the essence of a person. The word has been around for quite some time now and is usually identified in its entirety as “Swagger.” The re-introduction of the word into Hip-Hop’s vocabulary was formally brought back after T.I., Jay-Z, Kanye West and Lil Wayne rapped about it on their song “Swagger Like Us.” We undoubtedly loved the song, adopted the word and shortened it to “Swag”, using the heck out of the 4-letter word till eyes started to roll. At this very point the minor mention of the word is just passé and holds no more authenticity in it.

2. No Homo

It is with great pleasure that this writer holds no mercy on “No Homo.” The term is most popularly used to somehow exempt the person using it from appearing or displaying homosexual qualities. This may be a bit confusing to passersby of Hip-Hop, so allow a breakdown. For example, let’s say you the reader happen to admire the looks of another individual that happens to be of the same sex, if you were to complement them but want to make it clear that you are in fact heterosexual, you would exclaim “No Homo” upon giving said complement. Some would call it homophobic and because that is not our battle, we must respectfully digress. The term was made popular by Harlem rap group Dipset. Some have gone on to give credit to rapper Juelz Santana who made the term popular. The reason why “No Homo” needs to end in 2009 is mainly because it is being tossed around like a fruit salad (no pun) and it is just exhausting to hear.

1. Hater

Is there any wonder why “Hater” would be the number one word that needs to end in 2009? Rapper Maino has been credited as the introducer of the word(whoever thinks this is apparently only 10 years old ) after he made a hit single about it, affectionately titled “Hi Hater.” The term is usually used to point out an individual that is spewing hate for no particular reason except because of pure envy; or that is how it started. Eventually, the word became a defense mechanism against anyone that was not pleased with an opinion that differed from their own. Soon after that it just became a part of everyday vocabulary that has become widespread. In fact, this article may even fall in the lines of being referred to as a “Hater.” The term is old and it has run its course so let us bid farewell to it when we ring in the New Year.

Are there any words you want to see cease after 2009 OR do you feel some of the listed words are instead classic?

http://www.examiner.com/x-1622-NY-Hi...ten-after-2009

ME PERSONALLY I THINK THE SWAG WORD HAS DAMN NEAR DIED OFF THANK GOD :smilies1:

D-Town hip hop at its finest

I LOVE WALE, LUPE & CUDI 2009 in review: 5 Hip-Hop words we'd like forgotten after 2009 Orchid's Avatar
    Liked
    24 times

thank sweet baby Jesus that swag is pretty much dead soon we gotta get no homo to that status
    Lead Yourself ~Wasalu Jaco~
    JOIN HIPHOPSTAN.COM

Product of Determination 2009 in review: 5 Hip-Hop words we'd like forgotten after 2009 Opportunist's Avatar
    Liked
    5400 times

i want the word "5 star chick" to die in 2009 b4 it keeps catching fire.
    Look up in the sky and tell me what you see
    The clouds, naw nigga, not me
    I see opportunity, I'm a opportunist
    Nigga, you heard what I said, "I'm a opportunist"

FUCC NICCAS 2009 in review: 5 Hip-Hop words we'd like forgotten after 2009 FUCCBOYSBEWARE's Avatar
    Liked
    64 times

hater can go and guap
    kush smoker

I LOVE WALE, LUPE & CUDI 2009 in review: 5 Hip-Hop words we'd like forgotten after 2009 Orchid's Avatar
    Liked
    24 times

Quote Originally Posted by Opportunist View Post
    i want the word "5 star chick" to die in 2009 b4 it keeps catching fire.
    yea it can die ...when people say it its like their reaching to make themselves or that female seem more than just a basic chick
    Lead Yourself ~Wasalu Jaco~
    JOIN HIPHOPSTAN.COM