Registration is FREE, Fast, and Simple. Our Registered Members DO NOT See the video Advertisement below!
***Register Now***

Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is a classic? What is considered a classic?

The Underground... What is a classic?  What is considered a classic? Sarachi Sauce's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times

Default What is a classic? What is considered a classic?

I was just wondering. I was on the bus yesterday (that's right, i ride the bus...u going to buy me a car? alright then...) and I got into a discussion with a high school kid on the bus after asking him what he was listening to. To make a long story short, the conversation went on to what albums we thought were classic, and us going back and forth arguing on why the other was wrong.

–adjective
    1. of the first or highest quality, class, or rank: a classic piece of work.
    2. serving as a standard, model, or guide: the classic method of teaching arithmetic.
    3. of or pertaining to Greek and Roman antiquity, esp. with reference to literature and art.
    4. modeled upon or imitating the style or thought of ancient Greece and Rome: The 17th and 18th centuries were obsessed with classic ideals.
    5. of or adhering to an established set of artistic or scientific standards or methods: a classic example of mid-Victorian architecture.
    6. basic; fundamental: the classic rules of warfare.
    7. of enduring interest, quality, or style: a classic design; classic clothes.
    8. of literary or historical renown: the classic haunts of famous writers.
    9. traditional or typical: a classic comedy routine.
    10. definitive: the classic reference work on ornithology.
    11. of or pertaining to automobiles distinguished by elegant styling, outstanding engineering, and fine workmanship that were built between about 1925 and 1948.
    –noun
    12. an author or a literary work of the first rank, esp. one of demonstrably enduring quality.
    13. an author or literary work of ancient Greece or Rome.
    14. classics, the literature and languages of ancient Greece and Rome (often prec. by the).
    15. an artist or artistic production considered a standard.
    16. a work that is honored as definitive in its field: His handbook on mushrooms is a classic.
    17. something noteworthy of its kind and worth remembering: His reply was a classic.
    18. an article, as of clothing, unchanging in style: Her suit was a simple classic.
    19. a typical or traditional event, esp. one that is considered to be highly prestigious or the most important of its kind: The World Series is the fall classic of baseball.
    20. Archaic. a classicist.

It seems anything can be labeled "classic" without reason nowadays. What do you consider a classic album? Why is it classic? It can't be sales because some hip hop so called "classic" albums have barely hit plat status. If it was based on sales, then we would have a long list of "classics" right? So, what in your opinion makes a classic album? Should there be a base on which an album can be labeled classic? I just want an understanding because the term classic seems as abused as a 6 year old at a nike sweat shop.
    Imagination is more important than knowledge. For while knowledge defines all we currently know and understand, imagination points to all we might yet discover and create.
    Albert Einstein

Product of Determination What is a classic?  What is considered a classic? Opportunist's Avatar
    Liked
    5400 times

Default Re: What is a classic? What is considered a classic?

see the following items:

close thread.
    Look up in the sky and tell me what you see
    The clouds, naw nigga, not me
    I see opportunity, I'm a opportunist
    Nigga, you heard what I said, "I'm a opportunist"

OhEmGee What is a classic?  What is considered a classic? Fresh2defsheis's Avatar
    We're Not Losers...We Are L.A.S.E.R.S.!!!
    Liked
    2 times

I consider a classic something that can stand the test of time....something i can listen to and never get tired of hearin it...

Lupe:food and liquor, the cool
    2Pac:too many to name,lol
    Nas: it was written
    project pat:getty green,crook by da book, mista don't play,layin tha smack down

Ponder The Question NOT The Answer!

Product of Determination What is a classic?  What is considered a classic? Opportunist's Avatar
    Liked
    5400 times

Quote Originally Posted by Fresh2defsheis View Post
    I consider a classic something that can stand the test of time....something i can listen to and never get tired of hearin it...
    see post #2
    Look up in the sky and tell me what you see
    The clouds, naw nigga, not me
    I see opportunity, I'm a opportunist
    Nigga, you heard what I said, "I'm a opportunist"

...... What is a classic?  What is considered a classic? Fabulous's Avatar
    Liked
    8 times

When every song is hot and 10 years later that **** is banging exa: Reasonable Doubt, and Biggie's ****...

The Underground... What is a classic?  What is considered a classic? Sarachi Sauce's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by Fabulous View Post
    When every song is hot and 10 years later that **** is banging exa: Reasonable Doubt, and Biggie's ****...
    I'm definitely feeling what everyone is saying. And Opps, you should omit "American Gangster" from that list :happy002: But on a serious note, when I'm at a bar and someone hits the juke box up, playing a song that at least 70% of the people know and start bumping their heads, I consider that a classic, and like Fab said, something that might have been released 10 years ago or so...

But what's up with albums being dropped and all of a sudden it's labeled a classic, be it even before the release date or when it just drops...What's up with that? Should there be conditions that should be met, like the test of time first? I mean, we all have personal favorites that we deem classic because we know personally we'll still be bumping the album years from now. But from a general perspective, is this a legitimate reason? Should albums have that right to be labeled classic straight off the bat like a baseball?
    Imagination is more important than knowledge. For while knowledge defines all we currently know and understand, imagination points to all we might yet discover and create.
    Albert Einstein

He's On Fire! What is a classic?  What is considered a classic? HipHop.I.AM's Avatar
    Liked
    32 times

Quote Originally Posted by Sarachi Sauce View Post
    I'm definitely feeling what everyone is saying. And Opps, you should omit "American Gangster" from that list :happy002: But on a serious note, when I'm at a bar and someone hits the juke box up, playing a song that at least 70% of the people know and start bumping their heads, I consider that a classic, and like Fab said, something that might have been released 10 years ago or so...

But what's up with albums being dropped and all of a sudden it's labeled a classic, be it even before the release date or when it just drops...What's up with that? Should there be conditions that should be met, like the test of time first? I mean, we all have personal favorites that we deem classic because we know personally we'll still be bumping the album years from now. But from a general perspective, is this a legitimate reason? Should albums have that right to be labeled classic straight off the bat like a baseball?

WHAT was he thinking puting american gangster in this category
    Do not bark up this tree,....this tree will fall on you..

I LOVE WALE, LUPE & CUDI What is a classic?  What is considered a classic? Orchid's Avatar
    Liked
    24 times

Quote Originally Posted by Fresh2defsheis View Post

Lupe:food and liquor, the cool
    2Pac:too many to name,lol
    Nas: it was written

project pat:getty green,crook by da book, mista don't play,layin tha smack down

i agree with Fresh except for project pat:happy002:, there are also jay z, biggie and coldplay(i love them) albums i consider a classic. With albums like these you can listen to forever and bring you back to a time where something good happened in you life and your was happy, the song(s) was just apart of your life's soundtrack
    Lead Yourself ~Wasalu Jaco~
    JOIN HIPHOPSTAN.COM

I LOVE WALE, LUPE & CUDI What is a classic?  What is considered a classic? Orchid's Avatar
    Liked
    24 times

i think Lupe's albums can be considered a classic

i dont care what you say
    Lead Yourself ~Wasalu Jaco~
    JOIN HIPHOPSTAN.COM

Catch Up Newbies What is a classic?  What is considered a classic?
    Liked
    2 times

Quote Originally Posted by Orchid View Post
    i think Lupe's albums can be considered a classic

i dont care what you say

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast