In less time than it takes to sing the hook to “Run the World (Girls),” Beyoncé sold out the first of her four New York shows.

The pop superstar announced “4 Intimate Nights With Beyoncé,” a series of four intimate performances at New York City’s famed Roseland Ballroom. Tickets went on sale today with the first show on August 14 selling out in a lightening-fast 22 seconds.

Those who weren’t able to get tickets to the first show on Sunday can try their luck at three other dates set for August 16, 18, and 19. Tickets for the remaining nights go on sale throughout the day and are expected to all sell out.

Beyoncé will perform her new album 4 in its entirety at these special concerts.

In comparison, Michael Jackson's ill-fated 2009 This Is It dates at the O2 which sold 33 of its 360,000 seats each minute.

The speedy sell-out comes just a week after Beyoncé spoke out for the first time about playing Egypt in the weeks just before the country's uprising.

Talking in this month's Harper's Bazaar, she said that despite protests from ultra-conservative Islamic groups beforehand, her concert at Port Ghalib on the Red Sea was a massive success.

She told the September issue of the magazine: 'There were a lot of women in the audience in burkas. They were singing along to Irreplaceable – it was amazing!

'Some of the men got really upset! They were like to their women, "We have to get you out of here!"....I guess some of them (men) do get annoyed. But I never want to do "the banner thing".'

The former Destiny's Child singer is hoping to begin a new chapter in her life when she turns 30 on September 4.

The star, who married rapper Jay-Z, 41, three years ago, said: 'This is such a pivotal moment in my life! I’m transitioning as a woman, and I’m finally able to express myself as I am.'

The full interview is in the September issue of Harper’s Bazaar UK, which is on sale now.

UPDATE: Columbia Records reports that all four shows have now sold out. “It’s official @Beyonce’s 4th & final show at Roseland Ballroom is SOLD OUT! Thats a total of 4 sold out shows next week!” tweeted the label.